St Hilda’s East Community Centre
||St Hilda’s East Community Centre
||Bethnal Green, London
||1994. Further works in 2005
||Architecture and Project Management
St. Hilda’s East is a registered charity founded over 100 years ago with the object of ‘advancing education and relieving poverty among the inhabitants of the City and County of London’. The Centre is sited on the Boundary Road Estate in Bethnal Green, the first comprehensive redevelopment housing project built by the London City Council in 1890.
The new Community Centre scheme provides a larger, more efficient facility accommodating multi-purpose Hall, community café and club rooms, community resource, teaching and meeting rooms, office accommodation for local community groups and self-contained flats for local key workers.
All facilities are individually identified avoiding the institutional character of a single volume space. The new building responds to the urban grain of Boundary estate: the only part of the building retained is the ‘Ragged School’ that is now office accommodation for local community groups.
The practice was engaged again by St. Hilda’s in 2005 to construct an extension to accommodate further classrooms and youth centre accommodation.